Raymond Phillip Chance Is...

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tempis Fugit, Dude


"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun - for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax - This won't hurt."

Purported to be Hunter S. Thompson's suicide note...



Time flees dude, and this is no better example.  But Hunter was also an outstanding example of a very full life.  I don't pretend to rationalize his worst behavior nor do I glamorize his best.  There is no big message behind this clump of thinking unless you want to see one.  I am 60 years old and if I ever find out who said "The best is yet to come..." I will be tempted to dig him or her up and beat the holy crap out of him/her.

There are good things to come, nothing completely replaces youth and vitality.  The love of a good person and human hope and inspiration make ignoring the downside worth the effort.  For Hunter it seems that it was his ride and when it wasn't "E Ticket" fun anymore nothing and no one could change his mind.

So, live life like it's stolen...because it is.  As a wise person recently told me, "I'm stuck in that awkward place between life and death".  Well played, even for a quote off the back of a T-shirt. 

People love you, people need you....all that remains is for you to love and need yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment